Am I what you're looking for?
If you have the passion and talent for cooking, whether you are a restaurateur, executive chef, sous chef, line cook, culinary student or home cook -- you are encouraged to apply! We are on a nationwide search for all types of cooks from all backgrounds with range of cooking styles. Whether you cook fine French cuisine or prefer a great tasting burger, we want to hear from you.
What are the eligibility requirements?
1) You must be at least 18 years of age.
2) You must be a legal United States resident.
3) You may never have been convicted of a felony or have had a restraining order entered against you.
4) You may not be a candidate for public office and you must agree, if selected to participate, not to become one until at least one (1) year after the initial broadcast of the final episode of the Program in which you appear.
5) Neither you nor any of your immediate family members (spouse, ex-spouse, parents, siblings and children) or household members (whether related or not) may currently be or have been, within the past year, employees, officers, directors, representatives or agents of Producer, American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. (“ABC”), any television station owned or operated by ABC, or any of their respective parents, subsidiaries, related or affiliated entities, known major sponsors of “The Taste” (the “Program”), and/or any person or entity supplying services or prizes to the Program. In addition, any applicant closely acquainted with any person (a “Connection Person”) connected with the production, administration or exhibition of the Program may be deemed ineligible if, in Producer’s sole discretion, the relationship between the applicant and the Connected Person could create the appearance of impropriety.
6) You will need to be available for the Program’s production dates, tentatively scheduled to last for up to five weeks beginning in September of 2014, and be willing to travel to various locations as part of production.
7) You must be willing to submit to a medical examination, psychological examination and background check.
How do I apply to be on The Taste?
Click HERE for more information on how to apply.
I already pre-registered, do I have to fill out and bring an application as well?
Should I send in a video submission if I plan to attend the open call?
No, it is not necessary if you attend an open call. We only ask that you send in or upload a video submission to our website if you cannot attend an open call and submit an application form. Please note that we receive thousands of video submissions so make sure yours stands out!
After the open call, when will I know if I’m moving on to the second round?
Those who are selected for callbacks will be told at the time of their audition or shortly thereafter. Callbacks will be scheduled approximately 1-3 days after the open call.
If I am selected to participate on the show, what is my time commitment?
If you are selected to be on the show, you must be available to commit yourself to the competition and taping of this show, you will need to be available for the Program’s production dates*, tentatively scheduled to last for up to five weeks beginning in September of 2014, and be willing to travel to various locations as part of production.
*Subject to change.
How much food will I be serving at the open call?
You must serve one plate of food to Producer’s food experts. You will not have access to any equipment to heat your food and the dish you choose to serve should be one that can go without refrigeration for several hours. When preparing your dish, please take every effort to preserve your food to avoid spoilage and to prevent the spread of foodborne illnesses. We suggest transporting your food in a portable cooler to prevent spoilage. You must bring your own utensils including the plate, knives, forks, spoons, etc. You will only be given a few minutes to plate your dish (once you get into the audition room) so bring whatever it is you need to do that!
Please think carefully about the food that you bring, and how you will transport it to the open call, especially if you are travelling from afar. Please also take into consideration that you must be able to carry everything you need into the audition room. No plate of food, no entry to the open call.
Will I be facing the food experts alone at the open call?
You will be going into the audition room in groups, so we highly suggest you start off with a bang and submit a great application and a stunning dish! Producers reserve the right to modify allotted times for auditions at their sole discretion.
Will the food experts eat every plate of food presented to them?
At least one food expert will try to taste every plate of food presented to him or her in the audition room. There may be reasons that a food expert is unable to taste every dish - e.g. allergies, if a food expert determines that the dish is not fit to taste due to spoilage, or if a food expert deems the dish to be inedible!
What kind of plate of food shall I bring?
You can bring any dish, as long as it is presented on one plate. But remember, you will be evaluated on this dish, so make sure you think carefully about it. Maybe it’s your signature dish or a recipe handed down through generations of your family or maybe it’s you on a plate – whatever you decide to bring, make sure it says something about you! NOTE: WE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MAY BE TRAVELING FROM FAR DISTANCES AND YOUR DISH MAY NOT BE HOT WHEN YOU PRESENT IT. WE WILL NOT BE TAKING TEMPERATURE INTO CONSIDERATION.
Please remember you will have a short amount of time to plate the dish at a table and if you take longer, there is a chance you will be sent to the back of the line.
Will everyone in line have the opportunity to audition on the audition day?
We would love to audition everyone that shows up; however, this may not be possible due to the tight schedule. If we are unable to see everyone the day of the auditions, don’t worry! We are diligent about getting everyone’s contact information at the open call and will try to follow up with all who attend. We encourage you to apply HERE.
Do you charge for the auditions?
No, auditions are free.
Is there a charge for parking at the venue(s)?
There may be a parking fee at the venue. The parking fees are set and collected by the venue manager. We have nothing to do with the parking fees or facilities. It is highly likely that you will have to pay for parking each time you come in and out of the parking structure. For example, if you leave the parking structure to go out and purchase food and then return, you will probably have to pay again.
Will there be anywhere to purchase food and drinks while in line at the audition venue?
Food and drinks will not be available for purchase at the venue, so please bring your own water and snacks.Please be sure to eat something prior to coming to the registration and the audition in order to keep your energy level up. Remember, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this could be the most important audition of your life!
What should I NOT bring with me to the auditions?
The list of prohibited items below is not exhaustive and even if an item is not listed below, the Producers and security reserve the right to ask you to remove any such item from the venue. People in possession of prohibited items will be denied admission to the line and to the venue, and may be subject to immediate disqualification. All bags are subject to search.
- Air mattresses
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals (unless health related)
- Cans or bottles (except water bottles)
- Chairs that do not fold (e.g., lawn chairs, chaise lounges, molded plastic chairs)
- Digital or still cameras (including those on mobile phones and tablets)
- Hair dryers
- Illegal drugs
- Video cameras, camcorders or recording devices of any kind (including those on mobile phones and tablets)
- Weapons of any kind
- You may not bring any equipment (heating or cooling) that needs an outlet. You may bring battery-operated food prep equipment that can heat/cool food.
- Children under the age of 13 years are NOT allowed at the audition venues.
Please note that the audition day will be a very long day with a lot of standing/waiting and it is not a suitable place for young children. Please arrange for childcare if you are coming to the audition.
Please note that audition times and dates, and application submission deadlines, are subject to change as determined by the Producers. All those considered for participation in the Program will be required to submit and sign additional documents (which may include, without limitation, a participant agreement, waiver, and series rules) in order to be considered to participate in the series. If there is any conflict between the information on this website and these additional documents, the documents shall control. The food experts shall be selected by the Producer of the Program in its sole and absolute discretion and the decisions of the Producer is final in all respects.
Thank you and GOOD LUCK!!!